Sunday, June 21, 2015

Marshmallow's Quilt

In a bunch of marathon sewing sessions, I was able to complete this quilt for a friend's dad.   He's a Chicago Bears fan and I had permission to use just the colors but ended up drawing up my own pixel version of their logo (minus the bear, I'm only regular crazy).  It worked out pretty well with just two inset seams to fuss with and the background is all the navy fabric I could find including some stolen from my BFF's house.

Secret messages were quilted in various spots, of course.

I'm pretty happy with the overall texture, it's organic, varied zigs with bits of bubbles, squiggles and stars thrown in.   The orange was a loose back and forth to tie it all together.

 Even bears have to eat so I used some big chunks of my favorite orange deer fabric.

 The back is flannel (of course) and crazy bright chevrons which I didn't match up very well but the hope is that he'll find it cheery and happy.   

A quickly attached label (so that my friend couldn't pretend she made it) and a QR code to this blog were finished up Friday night and it made it up to her house and then to him just in time for Father's Day.   I've always loved the stories she tells about her dad, particularly the adventures they've had in Kenya.  He's got a great sense of humor and is so supportive of her work in Kenya ( so was glad I could do something for him as he faces a big challenge.

 Happy rolled up goodness!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Project Linus

I've got another nice stack of quilts ready to go to our local Project Linus group. Here is the latest which I started late Friday night as I was too twitchy to sleep. Quilted up on Saturday with a bunch of new motifs and machine bound on Sunday with lots of breaks because I hate doing that. Pictures galore!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Order Up!

So I've found my customer base recently. It's the 8 and under crowd.

First up two pirate pillows.

Then virtual fabric picking by their older brother.

And ta da, three small pillows (5ish by 10ish) ready to go.

Now back to some slightly longer projects.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Blessed

The first trial of these is referred to as The Damned so that makes these The Blessed. They were gifted for Christmas and well received although a nose was requested for the blue/red one.

I've other projects to share as I've been sewing although not blogging or going to guild. Maybe I'm ninja sewing these days?

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Everyone does their part

I made a couple of dog beds to donate to a local shelter. I used a thick curtain my mom made for me when I was in college (thanks mom). I stuffed them with the scraps of batting from all the quilts over the years.

Matilda helps with quality assurance.

So far the double stitching is holding up just fine. 10 minutes down.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013


I used the Pleated Tote pattern to make a quick(ish) bag for a weekend trip.

I had plenty of Grand Bazaar left so I used 4 prints from the line. Hopefully the light interior and key hook will help me find things inside.

My linings always end up bigger than the outside. I may be trying to create a Mary Poppins bag.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Next Up: Binding

Well maybe not quite next, I do get distracted easy. I've got a friend's quilt on the frame and a bag partially cut out. Plus many other quilts in various stages. But for this project, the next bit is binding.
My brilliant friend recommended the black and white binding. As soon as she texted, I knew it was perfect.

I didn't have enough of my first choice.

But maybe I just thought it was perfect because my neighborhood has gone crazy with Halloween decorations. Totally overboard. Not as bad as the house that has put up Christmas lights already though. These are newly up and not the all orange strands of lights. Rainbow icicle Christmas lights. Blinking.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

In the Groove.

I'm back up and running on my long arm.

Quilting on my own stuff that's been sitting for awhile.

I was reminded what I liked about quilting in the first place. Bright colors, fast stitches and knowing that someone is going to enjoy snuggling under it in the future.

I finished up a small quilt this weekend too.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Back Soon

Maybe probably.

For now it's Mimi Night Night.

Sunday, September 22, 2013


Whoever gets this quilt will have to take my dog too. She loves it. Will wake up from a nap if there is the slightest possibility that she can lay on even a corner of it.

I need to finish the quilting on it. That's my new thing, bind a quilt while trying to decide how to finish the quilting.

I also put borders on a quilt that is a group project. It's ready to go off for quilting now. No pictures until it's gifted though.

My sewing space is the cleanest it's ever been. So yes, I did have a houseguest for the weekend.