Sunday, June 30, 2013


1 by shanleytulip
1, a photo by shanleytulip on Flickr.

She will squish herself almost anywhere to lay on a quilt in progress.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Parson Grey

Another finish for the month. This one is labeled, washed and gifted up toward (if not to) it's new home. I wanted to use a big block for these prints and also to make it up quick. The guy it is for broke both his ankles this year.

It ended up about 63 x 88 which was quite handy since I was arguing with someone about how big a 64 x 84 quilt might be. Nevermind that I was stitching the binding on this quilt during the argument. Quilt math is hard. Always buy 6 yards to back a quilt. Even a baby quilt.

The backing is a wonderful gray flannel that I got on sale at Beverly's. they rarely carry manly flannel so I was happy to find it.

Nerd alert! Gotta love a QR Code. :)

I quilted really organic shapes in each of the three shapes in the disappearing nine patch. Seed pods for the rectangles, crosses for the little squares and ripples for the big squares.

This quilt made possible through the generous support of Jim's garage.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Fair trade?

My mom made me this -

And I made her this -

It was years ago. They both lay around a lot but hers doesn't whine. I think she's missing out.

Oh and mine is not allowed on the furniture. I'm mean like that.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three in a Row

So technically, I finished binding a quilt every day this weekend.

This will be quickly labeled and washed tomorrow. Full post someday. Probably before 2015 but I'm not promising anything.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Double Finish

Full posts soon but I'm easing back into blogging.

I finished sewing down the binding of both of these already this weekend. My diabolical plan to leave just a few inches left on the binding makes me seem fast.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sea Improv Baby

I used the leftover bits from my niece, Lightning's, quilt to do a little improv quilt. It is small, 37 x 37 but I like it. The tan solid was at the top of my scrap basket and I had enough to run with it.

I had a Riley Blake flannel that worked quite well with the colors on the front.

I quilted this one with some straight lines in a few different directions using my basically free Janome. Actually, I ended up a little ahead on that one. It's a nice machine that I got at QuiltCon in February. Not that I needed a new machine but they had such a good deal on the machines used in the classes that I ended up bringing a couple home and finding people interested in them. So after a few nail biting weeks, I basically made back the money that I spent on them. It's nice when a diabolical plan works out.

I entered this quilt in the San Diego Quilt show. Not because it's anything special but just to give people a little taste of other options in the world of quilting. Sure you can do detailed floral appliqué but you can also do a million more things.