Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice in Purple


Purple Solstice, originally uploaded by shanleytulip.

This is the finished just before the deadline and gifted hours before I left for SF quilt. I decided to gift a solstice quilt for a friend of mine who celebrates the winter solstice. She mentioned awhile back that her favorite color was purple so I got a few purple batiks and went to town. I posted about the strips previously here. This was one of those projects that just seemed to be calling to me despite my already over long holiday sewing list.


Quilting on Purple Solstice, originally uploaded by shanleytulip.

I quilted with wavy lines which seemed to go well with the varied patterns in the batiks. You can see a fabric or two in the first picture that I would likely have taken out if I'd had more time to worry over this puppy.


Quilting on Purple Solstice, originally uploaded by shanleytulip.

The backing worked out really well though (and at 25% off) but since it was sorta plain I went with the lighter thread on the back too so that it would show up better.

I'm trying to be better with listing sizes so this one is about 60 inches x 72 inches. Theoretically. I didn't measure after washing but it didn't seem to crinkle as much as some of the others.

Happy Winter Solstice All! Remember the days only get longer from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment